Saturday, August 26, 2006

Chaos never tasted so good.


The Catania Market is a place I love to go by myself on Saturday mornings, although this crazy shopping extravaganza is held in downtown Catania daily. At the market I can buy the freshest spices and herbs, vegetables, fruit, bread....basically, you name it, and if it's in season, it'll be at the market and it'll be great. There are two sections of the Catania market, one for food and another full of clothes (really cheap) and housewares, but my favorite thing to do is to buy my produce for the next few days, then find a seller with super fresh fish. Usually he'll have the entire fish cut in half and laying on a bed of packed ice. I tell him how many filets I want--the best fish to get at the market, or in Sicily in general, is swordfish--and he butchers the fish for me right there. You can't beat it.
It's a chaotic place, with people screaming at you to buy their apples, shirts, squid...but it's an unbelievable experience that I haven't found outside of unique Catania.

No comments: