Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The Mysterious Mirliton



The mirliton, also know as "cayote squash" is a favorite ingredient used in cooking almost exclusively by natives of Louisiana (and those who live next door to them). This year, I'm giving my holiday recipes a Southern twist by making mirliton and shrimp stuffing, with the help of my neighbor Linda, a native New Orlinean. Her stuffing is without a doubt the very best I have ever had. Because people in Missisisippi aren't as familiar with mirliton, I had to go to Rouses to get the squash, where I also picked up the fresh shrimp. Here's Nick getting the shrimp ready for the pot.


Here's the "recipe" according to Linda:
-Boil about a dozen mirliton (she says MEH-lit-uhn)
-peel back the waxy layer
-saute an "entiahhh headah gahlic" with an onion in butter then throw in some fresh parsley
-then throw in 'this much' (making a bowl with her hands) of fresh shrimp
-then toss in fresh bread crumbs to taste

The result is heaven in your mouth. I promise. According to my research, mirliton are also grown in California. I want Nicole of Pinch My Salt to try this sometime and give it a gourmet twist!

We hope you are all having a very Merry Christmas, no matter what kind of stuffing you make!

1 comment:

Pinch My Salt said...

My dad always grows a ton of chayote squash (that's what we call them)in his garden. It's easy to find in San Diego, too. But for some reason I've never done much with it. I usually only eat it when my dad cooks it! Thanks for the reminder :-)